Thursday, March 3, 2011

Luxury Hotels Rent Rooms By The Hour

REFLECTION


If you're looking forward to spending a few hours in any upscale hotel on any special day, the title of this article will spark your interest because it sure sparked my interest. As I read this article by Kitty Yancey, she basically spoke on how upscale hotels are looking forward to renting out their rooms by the hour for a lesser amount than their actual price for one night. Some upscale hotel industries are looking forward to making their rooms convenient for not just lovers, but also business people, shoppers or people who are waiting for a late plane. Even though upscale hotels rooms are still a bit expensive, but half of the price is not a bad deal. Everyone would love the experience of a luxury hotel.


Later in this article, it shift into the subject "love hotels" in which are hotels that are romantically decorated & made for certain guest who look forward to have a lovely, romantic day/night. "Love hotels" are commonly popular in Japan. Now it was mention that many young people live with their parents, which a love-hotel can be a good ideal for them to get away & spend some romantic time with their significant other. This is really a good ideal in which love hotels would include a discreet reception desk where you don't have to show your face. Therefore you get all the privacy needed. I feel that many hotels will begin promoting love hotels & it may work worldwide for the hotel industries




SUMMARY


Just by reading the title of this article, grasp my attention. I am a big fan of finding out about staying in luxury hotels. For example, walking down South Beach-Miami, Florida, my friends & I decided to stop by an upscale hotel called The Setai. Even though the outside appearance of this hotel was not that appealing but once I got a small tour of the hotel, I fell in love. This was one of a kind, luxury hotel you don't see everyday. From the front-of-the-house settings to the rooms, it was a very comfortable place. Therefore, I proceed to ask about the price. From what the front desk agent told me, it was $800 a night. I was surprise. Now from reading this article, I would love for this ideal of renting rooms by the hour to be effective for The Setai Hotel. I would not mind renting out any upscale hotel. Just renting a nice, luxury room for a special day with that significant other, can be romantic and fun to my prospective.


Now about the "love hotel," I actually like the ideal which fall in subject with renting luxury rooms by the hour. Its very catchy & romantic for the lovers who like to impress their significant other to a nice place in a good atmosphere. I feel like this ideal will grow in the future & many hotels will promote "love hotels" & let guest rent rooms for that. I know whenever I own my hotel, I would not mind investing in to putting something like that in my industry








Yancey, Kitty. USA TODAY. (2011, March 3). Luxury Hotels Rent Rooms By The Hour. Posted March 3, 2011, from USA TODAY: http://travel.usatoday.com/hotels/post/2011/03/trend-luxury-hotels-rent-rooms-by-the-hour/145870/1

7 comments:

  1. Not just luxury hotels could take advantage of renting rooms, by the hour. If their rates are appealing they will be attractive to many business people. Hotels attached to an airport or close to one would be the ideal spot for travelers; if a plane was running late or if the layover for your next flight is to long renting a room for a few hours maybe very helpful to allow customers a time of relaxation. Renting a room for a half a day or by the hour can be very helpful and save visitors pocket books by reducing the rates slightly for these times.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is an interesting concept, I am not sure if renting rooms by the hour is the way a luxury hotel would want to market their brand. I think it may give many of their high end clientele the wrong idea, maybe the concept of renting the room by the hour has a bad rap, but you cant deny that when you hear the slogan by the hour you get the wrong idea of what the hotel is being used for. In reality the rooms are being used as love hotels already but the thought of opening the hotel up to professional lovers might be the perceived outcome.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would not think that luxury rooms rented by the hour would be beneficial to a hotel. Most hotel staff that prepare the rooms for the next guest arrival are there only in the morning hours. I would imagine it would be rather expensive to keep staff available at all hours of the day and night just for a one hour room. The hotel would have to charge a larger fee than for the day to pay for the cost involved with making the room available. I also feel that a luxury hotel would tarnish their brand by making their rooms available for hourly rates. Those types of rooms are usually associated with savory characters.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hotels rented by the hour are definitly not a new concept. It has been done in Japan but the united States as well. Generally the rooms are rented for those nights you don't want to take the guy or girl home, but do want some time alone...in a room with them. Though I don't believe that it is exactly the best marketing ploy for all hotels it works it certain demographics. Las Vegs for instance, the renting of rooms by the hour in Las Vagas would probly garner a pretty sum but renting rooms by the hours in Sarasota, Fl would most likely not. As for regular people renting rooms by the hour. Rooms would have to be at least 10% of the day rate otherwise it would be cheaper for any guest to pay by the hour instead of a daily rate. This would make it quite unlogicl for a regular guest not looking for a "love" night to rent the hotel by the hour. A night's stay would most likely be more reasonable.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I personally am not sure about this whole concept. I would have to say I like the idea of renting out a room maybe for half a day as a guest at a nice hotel. That being said renting anything for an hour rate is not the type of clientele I would want in my hotel as the hotel manager. I am all for renting a room during the week for half the day but I would never consider hour rates as a creditable establishment. Way to many people coming in and out which will turn into a liability for the guest. Rooms are not that expensive and another thing I have a problem with is people living beyond their means and greeting even more debt. There are great rates on expedia and such sites. No need to bring down the integrity of the hotel.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Renting a room by the hour in a luxury hotel is not a bad idea. It definitely gives the average person the opportunity to experience all that these luxury hotels offer. I would love to get the chance to experience something like this. Growing up, my family and I always stayed in the most cost efficient hotels; it was never about the experience of the hotel more just a place to sleep that night. Now that I am older I really am fascinated with the different advancements and luxuries that some hotels have created. This would really be great for someone like me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don’t believe any upscale hotel should be marketing hourly rates to the public. The only hotels I know that charge hourly rates are ones where the hotel check in desk is behind bars or bullet proof glass. An image of an hourly rate I believe would turn any 5 star hotels into what people might perceive as a sleazy hooker (upscale of course) infested place. This is not where these companies need to be headed, even though it is a good idea giving regular people like you and me the taste of the good life for a fraction of the day at the fraction of the cost.

    ReplyDelete